kathydeal

Current El Shaddai By-Laws

Post by kathydeal »

BY-LAWS
OFTHE
EL SHADDAI EMMAUS COMMUNITY OF ILLIANA

(Updated August 20 I 0)

ARTICLE I. Name

The name of this community is El Shaddai Emmaus Community of llliana, hereafter referred to as the Community.

ARTICLE II. Purpose

Section I. The purpose of the Community shall be exclusively religious and charitable. All activities will be to inspire, challenge, and equip church members to live according to the Gospel of Jesus Christ in their homes, churches, places of business or employment, and in the world community. The "Walk to Emmaus" will be the primary means through which this purpose is accomplished.

Section 2. To achieve this purpose, the Community is affiliated with the International Emmaus Program of The Upper Room, Nashville, Tennessee, and sets its policies in accordance with The Upper Room Handbook on Emmaus.

Section 3. In view of its religious purpose, the Community is incorporated in the State of Indiana as a not-for-profit organization and conforms to the regulations of the IRS code 50 I (c)(3) for not-for-profit organizations.
Therefore, no part of the finances or goods received shall inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or, no substantial part of the activities shall promote propaganda or otherwise attempt to influence legislation (except as otherwise provided in subsection H of the IRS code), and shall not participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing or distributing of statement), any political campaign on behalf of or in opposition to any candidate for public office.

. .

ARTICLE Ill. Membership

Section I . All persons who have completed a Walk to Emmaus and/or Chrysalis sponsored by the Community shall be members of the Community.

Section 2. Persons who have completed a Walk to Emmaus, Cursillo, Chrysalis, Tres Dias, Kairos or similar weekends sponsored by other communities recognized by The Upper Room may become members by part ici pat i ng in the activities of the Community and asking the registrar of the Community to include their names in the mailing list.

ARTICLE IV. Board of Directors

Section I . Authority
The Board shall have final authority in all matters relating to the Community within the guidelines set by the International Emmaus Program of The Upper Room.

Section 2. Composition
The Board will consist of twelve ( 12) elected lay members, and three
(3) elected clergy members. All Board members shall be 18 years of age or older.

Section 3. Terms of Office
a) Lay persons on the Board shall be elected for a three (3) year term by the Community.
b) Clergy on the Board shall be for a three (3) year term by the 1f:i , but may serve beyond the three (3) year term if
there is no other clergy willing to serve.
c) Terms of Office shall begin January I st following an election and shall terminate December 3 I st, except for officers who shall serve until election of new officers in January.
d) Elections shall be held annually, at the November Gathering. Nomination procedures will be prescribed in writing as a standing rule by the Board. Election shall be determined by a majority or plurality of votes cast.
e) Board members cannot succeed themselves in consecutive terms except in necessity.

f) Only one family member may serve on the Board at a time. Family members include: spouse, parent, child, siblings and the spouses of the same.

Section 4. Meetings
a) The Board shall meet monthly in regular meetings unless otherwise ordered by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the attending board in a regular meeting.
b) Meetings will be chaired by the Community Lay Director. In case of absences, the order of chairperson pro tem will be the Assistant Community Lay Director, or the Secretary in this or der.
c) Business may be transacted by the Board only if a quorum is present. A quorum is defined as nine (9) voting members of the Board.

Section 5. Special Meetings
Special meetings of the Board may be called by the Community Lay Director or when requested in writing by eight (8) members of the present Board. The purpose of a special meeting must be communicated to the members of the Board, and business in that meeting must be restricted to the purpose for which the meeting has been called.

Section 6. Conduct of the Meetings
No meeting will convene without an invocation to God for His presence and guidance.

Section 7. Removal of a Board Member
a) A Board Member may be removed for the following reasons:
I) Committing an illegal act while in office; 2) Violation of biblical moral standards while in office; 3) Failure to uphold the duties of board members as stated in the By-Laws, and the booklet titled, "The Board of Directors," published by The Upper Room, Copyright© 1997; 4) Insubordination; 5) Inability to participate due to medical condition.
b) If it is determined, by an affirmative vote of the Board, that a reason for removal exists, the member shall be approached by the Community Lay Director or the Assistant Community Lay Director with the Community Spiritual Director and given the opportunity to resign voluntarily. If the member refuses voluntary resignation, the member may be removed by an affirmative vote of ten ( I 0) members of the Board.

Section 8. Vacancies on the Board
a) When vacancies on the Board occur for any reason, the Board shall elect a replacement member to fill the vacancy until the next regular election. At that time, such persons are eligible for election to a full term by the Community.
b) An individual who is elected by the Community to a partial term of one (I) year is eligible to run again at the next regular election.
c) An individual who is elected by the Community to a partial term of two (2) years is not eligible to run again at the next regular election.

ARTICLE V. Officers of the Board

Section I. Officers of the Board shall be the Community Lay Director, Assistant Community Lay Director, Secretary, and Treasurer. Officers can accept the responsibility of a work area in addition to an elected position on the Bo ard.

Section 2. The Community Lay Director, Assistant Community Lay Director, Secretary, and Treasurer shall be elected from the voting members of the Board.

Section 3. Election of Officers and Terms of Office
Election of Officers shall be held annually by the Board of Directors at the January meeting. Officers shall serve a one (I) year term of office and may succeed themselves. No person shall serve as Treasurer for a
period exceeding fij,ill:t J consecutive years.
Section 4. Spiritual Director
The Spiritual Director of the Community shall be selected by the Board of Directors annually; and must be chosen from the duly elected board clergy who are eligible for the office of Community Spiritual Director per the guidelines of the International Walk to Emmaus (i.e. accredited post graduate education).

Section 5. Removal of an Officer
a) A Board Officer may be removed for the following reasons: I) Committing an illegal act while in office; 2) Violation of biblical moral standards while in office; 3) Failure to uphold the duties of board members as stated in the By-Laws, and booklet titled, "The Board of Directors," published by The Upper Room, Copyright© 1997; 4) Insubordination;

5) Inability to participate due to medical condition.
b) If it is determined, by an affirmative vote of the Board, that a reason for removal exists, the Officer shall be approached by the Community Lay Director or the Assistant Community Lay Director with the Community Spiritual Director and given the opportunity to resign voluntarily. If the Officer refuses voluntary resignation, the Officer may be removed by an affirmative vote of ten ( I 0) members of the Board.

Section 6. Vacancy of Office
When a vacancy of Office occurs for any reason, the Board shall elect a replacement to fill the vacancy until the next regular election.

ARTICLE VI. Committees

Section I. The Board of Directors may name Board members to chair the following committees: Gatherings, Registration, Transportation, Facility Maintenance, Reunion Group Coordination, Music Coordination, Team Selection, Chrysalis Liaison, Memorial Fund, Web Page Liaison.

Section 2. The Board of Directors may name Community members to chair the following committees: Agape Coordination, Literature/Sponsor Education, Newsletter, Mailing List Coordinator.

Section 3. The Community Lay Director and Community Spiritual Director shall be ex-officio members of all standing committees.

Section 4. Team Selection Committee
The Team Selection Committee shall consist of a board member
who serves as chair, the Community Spiritual Director, the Community Lay Director and four (4) members of the Emmaus Community who have broad awareness of the community membership and a sufficient understanding of team needs. Community members are elected by the Board of Directors annually at the January meeting for a term of two (2) years, and may not succeed themselves in consecutive terms.

ARTICLE VII. Walk to Emmaus

Section I. The Community will follow the basic guidelines as set by The International Emmaus Program of The Upper Room in the formation of the three (3) day, seventy-two (72) hour "Walk to Emmaus."

Section 2. The Board shall have general oversight in all matters relating to the "Walk to Emmaus" conducted by the Community.

Section 3. The Board of Directors shall choose a Lay Director for each "Walk to Emmaus" conducted by the Community.

Section 4. The Spiritual Director for each "Walk to Emmaus" conducted by the Community shall be selected by the Spiritual Director of the
Co mmunit y.

Section 5. The Assistant Weekend Spiritual Directors for each "Walk to Emmaus" conducted by the Community shall be selected by the appointed Weekend Spiritual Director under the approval and guidance of the Community Spiritual Director.

ARTICLE VIII. Amendments

Section I. A proposed amendment to the By-Laws shall be presented in writing to the Board of Directors by any member of the Board one (I) month prior to consideration by the Board. If a proposed amendment is voted in the affirmative by three-fourths (3/4) of the Board in attendance at the meeting, the proposal will be circulated to the Community through the Community Newsletter.

Section 2. If no petitions signed by at least twenty-five (25) Community members objecting to the new amendments are received, the amendments will be considered adopted. Any objections must be received by the Board within sixty (60) days of the mailing of the notification. If an objection petition is received, proposed amendment must be ratified by the Community by mail vote before it will be approved for inclusion in the By­ laws. A majority of members casting ballots will prevail.